Some people think it’s very difficult to use Linux or Unix-like Variant Operating System because of compatibility of the hardware and the software. While some people are affraid and reluctant to leave their comfort area.
But, to make you sure, it’s not that hard, if i may say it’s rather simple. No need of software. Faster cause you don’t need to wait such PC tools loading. To connect to the internet, I use Huawei Vodafone E220 modem and Nokia modem. When I run Windows Vista and 7, to connect my nokia 5800 XM to the internet, I need Nokia PC Suite. Then here comes the problem when using Linux Ubuntu 10.04. How to make the smartphone detected as a modem?
Many people asking on the internet why Nokia ain’t make Nokia PC Suite for Linux since long time ago. And up to now, still, no response. That makes many people think that Nokia don’t care with the satisfaction of end-user especially those who need freedom and liberty to develop IT. Just making advantage how they can benefit the product as much as possible. Aside from that point of view, here some little tips to connect to the net with nokia modem:
1. Open terminal (command line), type lsusb to make sure that there is nokia smart phone in the list. Remember that you must choose connect via pc suite, not mass storage on the phone
2. Then type sudo wvdialconf to configure the modem.
3. Then type sudo wvdial And that’s it. You can make connection.
4. From the panel applet above (default on top), find connection applet. Right click. Make new mobile broadband connection. Next step, i’m sure you all already know. Like always, username, password, apn, etc…
5. Then after finishing the configuration. Just click on the connection applet, you will see your access point. Good luck!!! ^^ These steps also work if you connect any type of modem which are not detected at first.
When using linux, if you want to just transfer file from the phone to the computer or vice versa, you don’t need any software. Plug and play. Just choose mass storage on the phone at first. That’s all I can share to you as a newbie linux user. ^_^v
p.s. It works well in jaunty, karmic, and lucid. I’m sure it works in maverick also.